- 1 cup lentils • 1 ½ tsp paprika
- 4 cups water • 3 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt • 1 ½ cups tomato sauce
- 1 TBSP olive oil • 1 TBSP pickle juice or brine
- 1 medium onion, diced • 3 tsp worcestershire
- 1 large bell pepper, diced • 2 TBSP mustard
- 2 ½ TBSP chili powder • 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- In a small saucepan, cook lentils with water and ⅛ tsp salt. Boil, then turn to low and summer for about 20 minutes until soft but not mushy. Drain lentils, and set aside.
- While lentils are cooking, add oil to a large sauté pan and heat. Add onion and sauté on low for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bell pepper during the last 5-10 minutes, cooking until soft.
- Add spices to the onion and pepper, stirring to coat veggies. Add remaining ingredients, including the cooked lentils. Stir and cook everything on low for 5-10 minutes until warmed through.
- Serve on a hamburger bun with optional pickles and onions.